Pulsant is the leading UK infrastructure managed services business for mid-market clients. Pulsant help organisations navigate their IT journey with robust, secure, reliable and connected Data Centre and Cloud Infrastructure services. Over 360 colleagues provide solutions for over 1500 clients across the UK. Pulsant owns 12 UK data centres and has three corporate office locations in Edinburgh, Newcastle and Maidenhead.
An opportunity has arisen for a DC Manager in our Reading data centre. This function of this role is to take day to day ownership for the operation of a single or multiple (dependant on location) data centre(s) in terms of people management, client interaction, development and implementation of systems, processes and procedures, governance, and maintenance of the Mechanical & Electrical (M&E) infrastructure of the Data Centres so as to achieve a high-quality service which meets or exceed our clients’ expectations.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Be a role model to provide the values and behaviours for your team, driving service excellence and providing support, training, and guidance alongside development plans for all employees in own team.
- Co-ordinate, schedule and manage the resourcing of the team, including ensuring relevant shift, holiday, sickness, or other absence cover is organised. This extends to “last resort” cover for short notice call-offs for “on call” team members (priority is to ensure continuity of 24 x 7 cover)
- Input suggestions for site budget proposals for own site expenditure in line with agreed procedures and operate appropriate controls to ensure that expenditure is in line with budget and authorisation processes.
- Manage all maintenance contracts with specialist subcontractors and work with Reginal Head of Data Centres for region to ensure service contract reviews are negotiated to meet service requirement and best value for money.
- Manage and own all the Planned Preventative Maintenance (PPM) for site(s), working with specialist subcontractors to ensure this is carried out on time and within budget. This also involves, where appropriate, submittal of requests to the Change Advisory Board (CAB) for approval.
- Ensure and actively monitor all works on site to ensure that work is being done in accordance with relevant method statement/risk assessment
- Ensure all site impacting issues are escalated to senior management as per company procedures and work with clients to ensure the smooth operation of their services
- Ensure all team members are aware of the process to deal with any unplanned issues at site(s), engaging specialist subcontractors to ensure a quick return to normal operation.
- Co-operate and work closely with team to ensure efficient and high-quality technical support and client service to clients, whether this be through the ticketing system, face to face or by telephone
- Overall responsibility to ensure that the site operates strictly in accordance with health and safety and security procedures including all relevant compliance accreditations and the environment is maintained safely for all employees, contractors, clients, and suppliers as per company procedures.
Skills and Experience
- Working within a demanding, mission-critical Data Centre environment.
- Client facing experience, including dealing with clients in difficult circumstances.
- People Management.
- Understanding of Data Centre infrastructure
- Industry best practice for datacentre services
- Good technical understanding of datacentre infrastructure
- Understanding of the UK regulatory regime relevant to the datacentre industry particularly around H&S legislation, ISO 27001, 14000 and PCI.